Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary Local Information:
- The best time to visit the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary is from the beginning of November to end of April when the weather is pleasant and the wildlife is outdoors in the forest and the forest is fresh with the new dose of rainfall during June and September. This is also the ideal time to watch the Migratory birds in the forest. Winters are very cold and required heavy woolens and summers - light woolens.
- As with most Wildlife Sanctuaries in this area, Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary is closed during monsoons - 15th June to 15th September.
Important Telephone Numbers:
- Divisional Forest Officer,
Wildlife Division-I, Old Secretariate Campus,
P.O. & Dist. Darjeeling 734101.
Tele Fax: 0354-2252159, 0354-2252845
- Tourism Centre, Govt. of West Bengal
M-4 Building, Pradhan Nagar,Hill Cart Road, Siliguri - 734403Phone : (0353) 2511979, 2511974, 2432561Tele Fax : 2511979, 2432561E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tourist Bureau - Siliguri, Government of West Bengal,
M/4, Building, 1st Floor
Pradhan Nagar, Hill Cart Road, Siliguri
Phone No : (0353)-2511974/2511979.
- Foreigner Regional Registration Office
237 Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Road, Kolkata - 700 020.
Phones: +91-33- 22470549 & Fax: +91-33-22470549 Email: email@example.com
- Chief Wildlife Warden of West Bengal, Kolkata - +91-33-3346900 & 358 3208. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not explore the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary without a knowledgeable guide. Request the tourism department for a guide.
- Foreigners need to inform the Foreigner Regional Registration Office of their stay and duration in Siliguri or Kolkata.
- Cell phone networks may not work at all times or locations in the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary. Must keep your family or office back home informed of the limited phone access.
- Binoculars, loaded camera, drinking water, dry snacks, first-aid kit must always be handy when you traverse the Sanctuary.
- If you are staying in the Forest Bungalow at Latpancha, be aware that the Bungalow has no electricity connection so and functions by candle light at night. Carry big flash lights and candles.
- While driving up to the Sanctuary, always hire big vehicles as the rugged roads demand it.
- If you plan to stay in the Bungalow in the Sanctuary take lots of drinking water with you as it is not available at the Bungalow.
- Upon arriving at the Bungalow, do check with the caretaker if there are enough rations for cooking meals for you. Else, you would have to pay him and make him fetch it from the nearest town. This is a practice even if you have a prior booking of this Bungalow.
- As with all mixed-wet forests, this Sanctuary has abundance of leeches. Wear full sleeved-shirts and trousers and touch your trousers into your socks to prevent leeches from crawling into your shoes - which they are very good at. Sprinkling few spoons of salt per leech or stuffing your socks with dry tobacco leaves are a couple of ways to pull leeches off your feet.
- Do not venture outside the Bungalow in the dark although this place is safe.
- Insect and snake repellents are a must-carry to this Sanctuary as there are an abundance of both here.
- Do not consume alcohol or smoke cigarettes within the Sanctuary as you are required to be very alert of all the big and small wildlife and plant life around you.
- Timber and Animal Poaching from the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary is a punishable offence.
Accommodation near Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary:
Government-run Forest Bungalow is available at 'Latpanchar' - the highest point of the Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary. The Bungalow is a new concrete one which offers safe, clean and comfortable stay in the forest - and is about 15 kilometres deep into the forest or from the nearest town outside the forest - Kalijhora.
Alternatively you could also stay at Siliguri or Jalpaiguri and visit Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary from there during the day.