Most Polluted Cities in India List
Pollution is one of the factors one should keep in their mind while travelling. Pollution from various factories/industries and motor vehicles causes some types of diseases that effects respiratory system. As per Global Burden of Disease Study, outdoor air pollution is the 5th leading cause of death in India after High Blood Pressure. One should take care and follow some precautionary measures while travelling in highly polluted areas. Below is the list of top polluted cities of India, with the Pollution Index (PI) and Exponential Pollution Index (EPI) Levels.
NOTE: Pollution Index (PI) = an estimation of the overall pollution in the city.
Exponential Pollution Index (EPI) = very high numbers for very polluted cities, and very low numbers for unpolluted cities
1. Lucknow: Lucknow is recorded as highest air polluted cities of India (and world), due to its Industrial Units and Motor vehicles. In terms of Pollution Index, Lucknow of Uttar Pradesh has 111.49 Pollution index and 205.61 exponential Pollution index.
2. Mumbai: Mumbai is one of the Metropolitan cities and #2 Polluted cities of India. According to Pollution index, Mumbai has 96.43 Pollution index and 174.41 exponential Pollution index. Mumbai is the busiest commercial city and increase in vehicles lets out more pollution in the city.
3. Kolkata: Kolkata is the capital city of West Bengal State and ranks #3 for most polluted cities of India. It has about 94.20 of pollution Index and 173.16 exponential Pollution index.
4. Surat: Surat is the administrative capital of the Surat district in the state of Gujarat, India. It stands #4 in the place of the most polluted cities of India with pollution index of 85.78 and exponential pollution index of 162.50. Surat is famous for Textiles factories and manufacturing units and is the main cause for the increasing air and water pollution in the city.
5. Jaipur: Jaipur is the capital city of Rajasthan state and ranks #5 in the list of most polluted cities of India. 85.63 is the pollution index and 166.88 exponential pollution index of Jaipur city.
6. Visakhapatnam: Visakhapatnam/Vizag is a port area, located in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. The city has many heavy industries and steel plants; Pollution from Industries is found very high in Visakhapatnam. The city has 79.31 pollution index and 151.82 exponential pollution index and stands #6 as most polluted cities of India.
7. Gurgaon: Gurgaon of Haryana state records high level of air pollution. The city stands #7 for most polluted Indian cities with pollution index of 77.87 and exponential Pollution index of 144.91.
8. Ludhiana: Ludhiana of Punjab is one of the top polluted cities of India with PI of 77.70 and EPI of 141.53.
9. Delhi: Delhi, the capital city of India is one of the Top 10 Most polluted cities of India stands #9. Delhi has highest levels of Air pollution and in terms of Pollution index; it has 77.19 PI and 136.56 EPI.
10. Vadodara: Vadodara/Baroda is the one of the largest cities of Gujarat, stands #10 in terms of most polluted cities of India. The city has huge air pollution and records 77.01 PI level and 137.04 EPI.
11. Chennai: Chennai is one of the metropolitan cities of India and the capital city of Tamilnadu. The city of Chennai stands #11 for the most polluted cities in India with 76.66 PI & 139.21 EPI.
12. Pune: Pune, the second largest city of Maharashtra has also joined the list of India's most polluted cities, with high level of particulate & air Pollution. In terms of Pollution index, Pune has 76.61 PI and 135.19 EPI.
13. Madurai: Madurai is a temple town and the third largest city of Tamilnadu India. Due to sand rising from mud roads & noise raised from industrial areas Noise and dust pollution in Madurai are recorded very high. In terms of pollution Madurai has76.44 PI and 135.53 EPI.
14. Nagpur: Nagpur is an Industrial city, located in the state of Maharashtra, India. It has 73.22 PI and 134.40 EPI and stands #14th in the list of most polluted cities of India.
15. Meerut: Meerut is an ancient city, located in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. Meerut ranks #15 as the most polluted cities of India with 72.99 Pollution Index level & 142.55 exponential Pollution index levels.
16. Hyderabad: Hyderabad is one of the six metropolitan cities of India, located in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Hyderabad stands #16 out of top Polluted cities of India and has 71.49 pollution index & 127.06 exponential Pollution index.
17. Bangalore: Bangalore, the capital of Karnataka and is one of the leading Industrial cities of India. It is one among the most polluted cities of India with 67.98 PI and 118.08 EPI. Air pollution is recorded very high in Bangalore.
18. Kochi: Kochi/Cochin is one of the major Port cities of India, located in the state of Kerala. Kochi is listed one among the heavy polluted cities of India due to its high air pollution levels. The city one of the most popular commercial hub and has 65.40 of PI and 118.00 of EPI.
19. Vijayawada: Vijayawada/Bezawada is the third largest city of Andhra Pradesh, India. Due to increase in number of motor vehicles day by day, air pollution is recorded high in Vijayawada. It has 63.79 PI and 123.08 EPI.
20. Coimbatore: PI 62.93 & EPI 110.20
21. Ahmedabad: PI 58.79 & 108.85 EPI
22. Nashik: PI 43.10 & EPI 86.54.
23. Thiruvananthapuram: It is the capital of the Indian state of Kerala. Comparative to other cities Thiruvananthapuram has recorded less pollution. It has 33.33 PI & 68.24 EPI and stands #23 out of most polluted cities of India.
Source: www (dot)numbeo(dot)com/pollution/rankings(dot)jsp