For those who do not know about Nathula Pass, Nathula is a pass located on the Indo Chinese border (La meaning Pass in Tibetan) which is guarded by Indian and Chinese troops. The place is about 55 kilometers from Gangtok which takes about 2 ½ hours to 3 hrs by road and passes through Tsongo Lake.
Nathula is covered with snow throughout the year which was initially traditionally used for trading by merchants of India and Tibet.
The following 10 Do’s can make your trip to Nathula Pass enjoyable…
1. Get yourself physically examined before starting to Nathula.
2. Carry necessary first-aid and medicines with you as oxygen decreases as you go higher.
3. Wear thick woolens, gloves, trekking-gear and goggles to protect yourself.
4. Carry snacks like biscuits, popcorn or mixture etc, to eat as shops aren’t available easily.
5. Carry a thermos flask in case you want to have tea/coffee on the way to keep yourself warm.
6. Hire a local expert driver who is acclimatized to the roads and the conditions.
7. Carry enough cash with you to buy necessary essentials.
8. It’s not advisable if children are accompanying you.
9. In case of any emergency, handover your contact addresses or number to someone when you are away as mobile services isn’t available.
10. Go in a group, it’s always helpful.