History of Anandpur Sahib: Anandpur Sahib is an ancient town and has a great historical significance. Anandpur Sahib was founded on 19th June, 1665, by Guru Tegh Bahadur, (the ninth Guru of Sikhs) near the ruins of an ancient place of Makhowal. Earlier, Anandpur Sahib was called as Chakk Nanaki, which was named after Nanaki Ji (Mother of Guru Tegh Bahadur) and later it became Anandpur Sahib.
The ninth Sikh Guru - Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji spent some time at Bakala and moved on tour of different regions across Assam, Bengal and Bihar for seven years (i.e. from 1656 to 1664). Guru Ji had also spent a short time in the regions of Dhamtan and Talwandi Sabo. During April 1665, Guru Ji was touring the region of Kiratpur Sahib. He visited Bilaspur to attend the mourning of a great ruler and devoted Sikh Raja Deep Chand, who died on 27th April, 1665. Guru ji stayed at Bilaspur for three days from 10 to 13 May 1665 as part of the mourning. At this point of time Rani Champa, Widow of the King of Bilaspur had come to know that, Guru Ji had decided to move his headquarters to Dhamtan. It made her very depressed and she approached Mata Nanaki (mother of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji) and solicited her to ask Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji not to shift far away from Bilaspur State.
Following to Rani Champa's request, Mata Nanaki Suggested Guru Ji to oblige Rani Champa's request. When Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji agreed, Rani Champa offered to donate a piece of land to Guru Ji, so that he might set up a new town. Guru Ji decided to establish a new town but declined to receive a donation of the land.
Guru Ji was offered land spreading across the villages of Lodhipur, Sahota and Mianpur. Rani Champa accepted the price of the land paid by Guru Ji, however she was very happy about the decision of establishing Guru Gobind Ji's headquarters near Bilaspur region. Guru Tegh Bahadur raised a new habitation on the mound of Makhowal. On 19 June 1665, the work of establishing headquarters began initiated by Baba Gurditta Ji. The village thus established was named Chakk Nanaki and eventually came to be known as Anandpur Sahib
Baisakhi day of the year 1699 marks the most significant day in the Sikhs history, when the tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji baptized the Panj Pyaras and created Khalsa at Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib in the city of Anandpur Sahib. An important milestone and a historic event was added to the history of the city/district on the day of Baisakhi in 1999, when the city of Anandpur Sahib grandly celebrated the 300th anniversary of Khalsa, where numerous devotees, religious heads, Political heads and tourists from various walks of life participated in this event and paid respect at Gurudwara Shri Keshgarh Sahib.
Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the tenth Sikh Guru spent the early years of his life at Anandpur Sahib and he mastered the use of arms at Qila Anandpur Sahib.
As it is the part of Rupnagar district, Anandpur Sahib was ruled by the rulers of Rupnagar. They were
Raja Rokeshar (Ruler of Rupnagar) - During 11th century founded Rupnagar and ruled this region.
S. Hari Singh - ruled after the fall of Sirhind in 1763.
Raja Bhup Singh - The most prominent ruler of Ropar state, fought in the Anglo-Sikhs war of 1945.
The city of Anandpur Sahib is most popular for the Shrine of Sikhs - "Gurudwara Sri Takht Kesgarh Sahib". It has the one of the five 'Takht's' (throne of authority) of India.
Anandpur Sahib is also popular for 'Virasat-e-Khalsa', (Museum) which is the repository of the rich heritage of khalsa. It gives an understanding to the events that took place in the state of Punjab five centuries ago which gave birth to Sikhism and finally the Khalsa Panth.
The eminent persons of Anandpur Sahib are:
Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (April 18, 1621 - November 24, 1675) - The Sikh Guru - Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji founded the city of Anandpur Sahib in the year 1665. In 1675, Guru Ji appointed his son, Guru Gobind Singh Ji as the next Guru of Sikhs and left to Delhi from Anandpur Sahib.
Guru Gobind Singh Ji (January 5, 1666 - October 21, 1708) - The tenth Sikh Guru - Guru Gobind Singh Ji (Gobind Rai Ji) built 5 Qila's (forts) at Anandpur Sahib. Guru Gobind Singh Ji was honored and given the status of tenth Sikh Guru by his father, Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (ninth Sikh Guru) at Anandpur Sahib.