Maihar is well known for Sharda Devi temple which is situated on the top of a Trikuta hill around 5km from the heart of the city. This temple is famous for the 1063 steps to the top. The statues of Lord Narsingh along with Sharda Devi were installed by Nupula Deva in 502 AD. There is one ancient inscription, made in 10th century, near the feet of stone sculpture of Sharda Devi situated in Sharda Devi temple. This stone inscription is of four lines of size 15" by 3.5", written in Devanagri script. Another stone inscription at the temple is of size 34" by 31" inscribed by a Shaiva saint Shamba who had knowledge of Buddhism and Jainism. This inscription has a scene of Nagadeva which reveals about Damodara, son of Saraswati. All round the year, millions of devotees come here to perform religious activities in front of Devi Sharda.