The history of Koppal can be traced back to the kingdoms of Shathavahanas, Gangas, Hoysalas and Chalukya Dynasties. Found in the poetic work of the great poet Kavirajamarga who served during King Nrupathunga's time as "Viditha Maha Kopana Nagara". During Ashoka's period, the Jainism gained greater momentum in this region. In the 12 century A.D. Veerashaivaism of Social Reformer Basaveshwara became popular. Koppal, now a district headquarters was earlier ancient Kopana- a major holy place of the Jains, has two Ashokan inscriptions at Palkigundu and Gavimatha.
Before Independence, Koppal was under the rule of the Nizam of Hyderabad; the people of the region had to struggle further to attain Independence from the clutches of the Nizams. On 18th September, 1948, the Hyderabad-Karnataka got independence from Nizam. Before 1998 Koppal District was a part of Raichur District of Gulbarga Revenue Division. Since then it has become a separate district consisting of four taluks viz. Koppal, Gangavathi, Kushtagi & Yelburga came into being.
The area was ruled by the Shathavahanas, Gangas, Hoysalas and Chalukya dynasties. This was followed by the Vijayanagara dynasty, Kings of Mysore, Nizams and British.
The place was once known as 'Kopana Nagara' in Chandravalli Shasana. As Koppal is surrounded on three sides by hillocks it gained popularity and thus became an important town in the history of Karnataka.
Kavirajamarga, King Nrupathunga, Basaveshwara, Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan, Bedar Rajas, Gavisiddeshwara, Parshwanath Basadi, Mundargi Bheema Rao and Hammige Kenchanagouda, etc.