The Aligarh Fort, also known by ‘Aligarh Qila’, is one of the strongest forts of city situated on the Grand Trunk road. The Fort consists of a regular polygon, surrounded by very broad and deep channels. Muhammad, son of Umar the governor of Kol, built this fort during the time of Ibrahim Lodhi in 1524-25. Further this fort was rebuilt during the time of Farrukh Sivar and Muhammad Shah by the governor of that time, Sabit Khan. In 1759, it became fortress of great importance under Mahadaji Shinde and was the depot where he drilled and organized his battalions in the European fashion with the aid of French soldier Benoit de Boigne. During the Battle of Ally Ghur, it was captured from the Marathas which were under the leadership of a French officer Perron by Lord Gerard Lake s British army, in September 1803. From that time it has been much strengthened and improved. During the war of 1857 the troops stationed at Aligarh mutinied, but abstained from murdering their officers, who, with the other residents and ladies and children, succeeded in reaching Hathras.
Aligarh Fort is situated three km to north of the town and is under the control of Botany department of Aligarh Muslim University. Botany department takes care of the fort and uses its internal area for maintaining the floral gardens and other plantations. The special permission is required from the botanical department to visit this fort.