The most important attraction of Koppal town as it holds a lot of historical interest. Although it is not known definitely by whom it was built but stories say that the fort was acquired by Tipu Sultan in 1786 AD from the Marathas and rebuilt into one of the strongest forts with the help of French engineers. In 1790, it was besieged by the forces of the British and the Nizams. Sir John Malcolm, who participated in this siege, has described it as one the strongest place. The fortifications consists of two forts, the upper fort is situated on a lofty and almost isolated summit in a gorge on the eastern side of a cluster of rocky hills which occupy an area of several square miles. The fort is about 400 feet above the plains.