Located on the eastern end Bijapur city, the Gol Gumbaz was built by the 7th ruler of the Adil Shahi dynasty- Mohammed Adil Shah. It took 20 years to complete this magnificent monument which happens to be the heart of the city. The central dome is the second largest in the world (the largest being the dome of St Peter s Basilica in Rome) which stands unsupported by pillars measuring at 38 meters in diameter and covering an area of 1700 sq m with 51 meters in height. The Whispering Gallery , the tick of a watch or the rustle of paper can be heard across a distance of 37 meters. The massive structure is rounded off by four octagonal turrets in each corner which project at an angle. The dome offers a fabulous view of the entire town which also includes a mosque, a Naqar Khana, a gateway and a dharmasala.